Celcius CTW forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Celcius CTW forum

forum for everything CTW

You are not connected. Please login or register

2011 MX-2 Review

+3
Para
papoose42
Zander
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12011 MX-2 Review Empty 2011 MX-2 Review Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 am

Zander

Zander
Corporal
Corporal

2011 MX-2 Review IMG-20110514-00140-1-1

BACKGROUND:

Well I have had my CTW for over 3 months now and thought I would put up a review for my 2011 CTW MX-2. The CTW community is fairly small and there is very little information on them currently. Most of the topics about CTW’s are horror stories at best and are also not very helpful when looking to purchase one. In the past CTW has had issues (ECU, inner barrel and cylinders cracking) but from what I have seen so far and working with Hotspot Airsoft, they definitely listen to their customers and work to resolve any issues that may arise and implement improvements ASAP. The last shipment of CTW’s to the states had been delayed about a month because they had an issue with a small spring in the cylinder that provided pressure for the ball bearing lock that would fail occasionally under high FPS setups (500+). Most manufacturers wouldn’t address this problem and would wait till next model or revision to change this but CTW shut down production for a few weeks until better parts arrived. That speaks wonders to me.

As most of you know the CTW is a clone of the Systema PTW but at roughly $560 w/ discounts, it is drastically cheaper than the PTW which can run up to $1100-1500 and can be quite difficult to find in the US. Both can be hard to come by with the CTW’s, for the most part, being built to order. Most websites selling CTW’s in stock are older models that are usually returns or models that have not had major issues addressed. HSA is the only authorized dealer and repair center for CTW’s in the US and they receive freshly built CTW’s roughly every two weeks. Usually they require you to preorder your rifle because of demand. I pre-ordered my CTW 2/8 and received it 3/4 with the Chinese New Year also in that timeframe. I do not work for or represent HSA, just pointing out what retailer is carrying the most up to date product. Airsplat, Evike and AirsoftGI do carry some CTW’s once in awhile but they have never been 2011 MX-2’s even though advertised as so on occasion.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

The box itself was really nice, good weight and stiffness to the corrugate with fantastic print quality, KISS (being a Packaging Engineer I find myself looking at things like this more often than most). The gun comes packaged in an EPS mold with the CTW in its respective cavity. Included are the gun, 120 round high speed magazine, speed loader, cleaning rod and CD Instruction Manual. Picking the gun up, man is this thing rock solid. I’ve never held a gun that never once creaked or felt cheap. The grip is noticeably skinnier at first and somewhat strange after using AEG’s for good time. After using my CTW for a week or two, AEG grips now feel bulky and awkward. This is definitely a training weapon and feels like the real deal. I have fired Roughneck’s PTW years ago so I had a general idea of what to expect when firing the CTW for the first time. The first thing I noticed was the trigger response. After firing the CTW and then firing my KWA, its night and day. I don’t know how we put up with the ½ second delay between trigger pull and shot (on AEG’s without extensive electrical upgrades), but after firing a CTW/PTW it’s quite annoying. Second thing I noticed was the report. Very crisp. The CTW just purrs when fired and full auto with the 11.1v LiPo it sounds like what I can only imagine a wet dream would sound like. I love it.

EXTERNALS:

The body color has a slight blue hue to it and is much more subtle than most pictures make it out to be. The Celcius trades to me are pretty <CENSORED>’ (it’s a dragon cmon’). There is a slight wobble between the receivers however. I have corrected for this though by adding a very thin bead of silicon along the top of the lower receiver. This solves two problems; it keeps dust and water out of the receiver and also stabilizes the two receivers without increasing the gap and misaligning the gears. The polished stainless steel buffer tube is a nice addition and looks very nice and is a great addition to a high end weapon. The crane stock has a nice build quality to it with the felt pads and is slightly smaller towards the bottom side of the buffer tube in order to have a really snug fit. Zero wobble at all. No need to add unsightly tape the buffer tube here. The rubber butt pad on the stock is soft and has a good grip to it making shouldering the weapon a welcomed occurrence.

2011 MX-2 Review Chicago-20110403-00079

The outer barrel is a dark grey color along with the flash hider and front triangle sight. The flash hider came with cheap orange paint on it and a dip in an acetone bath literally melted the orange paint away in seconds. All have extremely high build quality (aside from what looks to be a small amount of flashing from the mold on the inside of the front post) and have been fairly resistant to scratches thus far. The hand guards are definitely not your everyday plastic. They feel great to the touch and are probably a nylon fiber hybrid polymer.

The only issues with the externals that I noticed were that the bolt release could use a stiffer string, a functioning charging handle would be nicer (the only function to me so far is to aid in pulling out the cylinder) and my magazine release was fairly stiff but worked in after a few depressions.

INTERNALS:

The internals are a clone of the PTW system replicating the lower gearbox and a separate, interchangeable cylinder. The cylinder is where the CTW excels when compared to the PTW. With the new MX2 model, the PTW cylinder no longer works in a CTW or vice versa. The new CTW cylinder is slightly larger in diameter and is also designed to be easier to disassemble. With this design it is easier to disassemble the cylinder unit to make repairs, shim the spring or change out the spring entirely for a weaker/stiffer spring. With PTW’s you would normally have to buy a whole new cylinder which can be very expensive ($150+). With the CTW cylinder, it is much like many quick change spring designs found in many AEG brands. You can purchase various CTW springs for around $5-20 and have them swapped out in no time. Obviously this is not nearly as fast as swapping out a whole cylinder, but it is definitely a lot easier to your feet wet with different spring arrangements.

The ECU is a new design and feature thicker gauge wiring to handle the minimum required 11.1v LiPo battery. A blue light illuminates to let you know that the weapon is armed and ready to fire when in the semi and full auto firing positions. Sensors in the ECU detect when the last round has been fired from the magazine which requires you to press the bolt release before resuming fire with the next magazine. The ECU can be swapped out for a 3RB ECU if desired that will replace the full-auto function. The wires from the ECU run along the inside of the lower receiver into the buffer tube. I suggest wrapping these wires in electrical tape or another piece of tubing as the coating is fairly weak and can rub/wear over time and cause a short that can fry your ECU/MOSFET/fuse. The fuse and the MOSFET are enclosed in the buffer tube with an aluminum heat sink. The wires from the MOSFET are wrapped together in a coil with a large style Tamiya connector attached to the end. The coil of wiring is around 3” compressed which unmodified does not allow you to collapse the crane stock full when the battery is installed. The wire can be shortened however in order to fit a buffer tube LiPo.

The barrel is a 6.00mm stainless steel crowned and ported barrel. So far this barrel has been extremely accurate and precise even before the hop-up break in period has passed. The ported barrel helps to reduce turbulence at the end of the barrel when firing on full-auto that most other barrels suffer from. The hop up is a similar design to the PTW hop up which is generally recognized as a pretty terrible design. The CTW hop up is adjustable from the magwell with the magazine removed and adjusted with an Allen wrench. This allows you to precisely tune your hop up and once dialed in, works pretty good so far, definitely nothing to write home about though.

FIELD EXPERIENCE:

I have used my CTW at two large OPS here in Illinois in March. Both times my CTW performed flawlessly and I have been very impressed with it so far. On both occasions it was around 30-40 degrees and the second event rained almost the entire duration. FPS was fairly constant at 408 fps and roughly 23 rps with the 11.1 v 2400 mAH crane LiPo. Both events the Celcius LiPo lasted me all day in the cold weather on over 2500+ shots. The second event rained all day and I punished the CTW with mud and water all day and never had a single hiccup. It is definitely very rewarding to know you can outrange 99% of the guns on the field and pick people off at close to 70 yards away. The increased trigger speed is definitely noticeable when popping off quick rounds and the CTW can fire around 3 semi rounds in the time it takes my KWA to fire off one round, pretty cool. This kind of accuracy definitely makes it worth having a 4X optic that is dialed in and using it for its intended purpose, not just using it to spot and identify targets.

The slimmer grip is something that takes time getting used to, but in the long run is definitely more comfortable. At this point however, I have switched out the pistol grip for a modified RS MOE grip that is a little bit wider, but definitely still thinner than the average AEG pistol grip. This is accomplished by hallowing out a RS or GBBR Magpul MOE grip. With a Dremel and a ¾” drill bit it took me one night to finish. It is definitely a trial and error process but it’s worth it. There are several ways you can attach the new grip, with or without screws. At first I used a plate of aluminum screwed to the motor mount which was compressed between the back of the grip and the bottom MOE plate. This way gave it the “screw-less” look but had a slight give to it which I was just not comfortable with. I ended up mounting the grip like the OEM grip, and so far it has been very secure.

2011 MX-2 Review Chicago-20110403-00075

I have noticed that sometimes my optical sensor will get blocked or dusty and will not illuminate the blue light when switching from safe-semi-auto. I am not entirely sure what the cause of this is just yet, but it is always resolved with opening the upper receiver and cycling the gears a few times. It could be the sensor not recognizing the two holes in the sector gear or that they collected some grease.

I have only had one BB jam to date. I have so far only used KSC .30g BB’s and TSD .23g BB’s. Both have worked fine so far without feeding issue or major jamming issues. I will be testing some .28g Bioval BB’s and some .25g tracer rounds to see how they perform also.

MAGAZINES:

The metal STANAG 120 round magazine that the CTW came with is quite heavy when first picked up, the weight mimicking a fully loaded RS magazine. The spring was very stiff but once worked in fed easily. I have had mixed performance with the stock magazine as the spring is extremely stiff to feed high ROF with heavy BB’s. Occasionally I have chopped a round or two with this mag, but all fragments are cleared out after a couple semi shots. The CTW mags are quite expensive however at roughly $40 a piece.

I have had much better experience with the Vanaras PMAG-style magazines from RSOV so far. They are much lighter (I’m all for realism but my gear weighs enough already) and have a pretty cool look to them. Personally, I think they are much more ergonomic than PMAG’s too. PMAG ranger plates with work with the Vanaras mags as well, which include two separate tabs to accept both the stock plate and a Ranger Plate. Also included are plastic sticky tabs that can be stuck to both the top and bottom of the magazine to help you identify what ammunition you have loaded. I use this to help me know which mags are loaded with stealth BB’s and which are normal without having to pull the magazine out of the pouch. It’s definitely a pretty nifty and useful gimmick. The internal core removes from the outer shell like the regular PTW magazines (If you have a broken PTW magazine, I recommend purchasing a Vanaras internal, only around $10). The best feature by fare though is the ability to change how many rounds can be held within the magazine. A small pin is included which can be inserted within one of 4 spots or not at all. This allows you to choose whether or not you want to have mags that hold 30/60/90/120 rounds. Definitely a very cool idea.

So far, all of the Vanaras magazines have performed flawlessly. They consistently feed much better than my CTW magazine. I paid ~ $180 shipped for 10 magazines shipped from HK. Crazy right? That’s $18 per magazine compared to most that run anywhere from $40-50 or are cheap plastic weird looking styled magazines. In the end, they are a great deal and by far the best investment I have made for my CTW so far. Metal STANAG versions are available too for a couple of bucks more.

CONCLUSIONS:

I have never been happier about an airsoft purchase before. Owning a CTW/PTW is unlike owning any other AEG. There is definitely more work, care and maintenance involved, but in the end it is totally worth it. At half the cost of a PTW, it is easier to stomach the cost for the average player. In the end, to be field skirmishable, I spent around $825 for the gun, 11 magazines and the LiPo battery and charger. To me, this is definitely worth it. If something does break or fail in the meantime, you have a lot of ground to catch up with the initial cost of a PTW and you are also able to use PTW parts as replacements on most items. I think it is a good thing to have another PTW company on the market in order to help drive innovation and lower costs to the consumer in the end as well. Competition is always better for the consumer than a monopoly. I have zero hesitations recommending someone to purchase one, whether they have owned a PTW previously or they are looking at training weapons for the first time. The trigger response and realism, along with performance make the CTW/PTW better than any other AEG by far. Of course, you can spend around the same amount of money to pimp out an AEG and get roughly the same performance, but it still will not be as consistent or valuable as a CTW/PTW. Please let me know if you have any questions as I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

2011 MX-2 Review Chicago-20110403-00072
2011 MX-2 Review Chicago-20110402-00063
2011 MX-2 Review Chicago-20110430-00101

22011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 pm

papoose42

Sargeant
Sargeant

very nice review although you love your gun as do i lately i am displeased with celcius as they have poor quality control. I have replaced most parts in my gun as they have always been breaking. I have fixed it now just need to replace 2 gears and it will work fine but at this point i bought the gun for 620 and i am into it for 600 i would have been more pleased to have a systema and only have to worry about the motor.

32011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Para

Corporal
Corporal

Nicely written post, mate.

But then, you sound like an advertising poster for Celcius Smile

There's some misinformation floating around, mainly regarding cylinder compatibility with systema ( I'm the sole CTW wielder in a team full of PTWs, so I've had hardware to experiment with ) and dismantling / changing springs is exactly the same work in both cases.

Then, unlike a PTW, a CTW is a hit-or-miss story. There's two shipments of 3 CTW's each that I know of, and each had one that still works flawlessly and two nightmare-stories.

http://www.gunsmith.ro

42011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Zander

Zander
Corporal
Corporal

Haha yes it is a little biased. I've always heard how much of a pain in the ass it was to change the spring in a PTW but who knows. Yeah, the shotty QA control definitely baffles me. It seams like everyone who got the first shipment after the Chinese New Year worked really well.

52011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 pm

boss

Sargeant
Sargeant

Zander wrote:Haha yes it is a little biased. I've always heard how much of a pain in the ass it was to change the spring in a PTW but who knows. Yeah, the shotty QA control definitely baffles me. It seams like everyone who got the first shipment after the Chinese New Year worked really well.

PTW Spring change:
• use a pair of snap ring pliers to screw off the REAR cylinder cover
• remove and replace spring

62011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Fri May 27, 2011 10:36 pm

DOW_n3Co

Private
Private

great review...but unfortunately you are probably 1 out of 10 ctw users that have had a good experience.

Although the CTW has great potential...I am so disgusted with Celcius that I have given HotSpot and Celcius 2 weeks to rectify the issues with my CTW or I will begin class action lawsuit.

My experience goes something like this....

1st day recieved...on 2 mag I got a broken Nozzle B snapped off inside Nozzle A in the 350 cylinder that came with the CTW...horrible upper/lower wobble with major paint chips all around the mag well.

put in the 400 cylinder I purchased and after 3-4 mags I started having the intermittent motor firing issue....THEN piston screw came unscrewed due to lack of loctite...

Shipped everything back to Claudio @ Hotspot...cost $28

2nd day after receiving my CTW back (wobble not fixed)....on 4th or so mag...same Nozzle break again on the same cylinder...

put the 400 cylinder in ran great for about 4-5 mags then the motor completely gave out...

sent the motor back to Claudio - cost $10

Claudio sent me nozzle replacements AND new Hop Chamber... and repaired the 350 cylinder...

I also swapped out the Hop Chamber which looked 100% better as far as the mill work...BUT the brass ring would barely fit a BB thru it without alot of pressure...so I filed it down to allow a BB to flow easily thru.

I put in the second CTW motor I purchased and ran the CTW for a 3rd day at an OP this past weekend....on my 4th or so mag...the motor began the intermittent firing...

Second Motor shipped back to Claudio for the "FIX" supposedly - cost $10

Claudio has been testing the motors for 3 days now and supposedly they have no issues...so now the intermittent firing seems to be the ECU/Mosfet...

I am not shipping my CTW back (another $28) to have Claudio do a temp repair just to await another issue/break!

IM DONE!

Hotspot and or Celcius has 2 weeks to rectify the issue with a brand new CTW for replacement or a full refund or credit.

I can say for the horrible experience I have had with the Celcius that Claudio has done just about all he can to fix the issues...unfortunately he has decided to sell them so he assumes responsibility when they dont work on the 1st day out of the box.

I am also the owner of ClubCelcius.com and until this past week was onboard with helping Celcius make a name for themselves here in the states.

After the next 2 weeks if the issues are not addressed with my contacts at Celcius or Hot spot I will be shutting down Club Celcius and begin the process of a class action and I will be calling customs to give them the same fate at the PTW's as far as coming into the country....maybe then I can save others the headache, money and misery of owning a CTW...

Consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky if you have receieved a working CTW. You are one of the few with such an experience...

72011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 am

blindmank13

blindmank13
Major
Major

Detailed review. As the post says above me yea I'm not pleased with my ctw either. I got mine in april it saw one game and was basically a noise maker cause didn't fire at all good then went down. Been at has for about a month now. In that time bought a mil/le ptw cqb and couldn't be happier. Looks as my ctw is going to enjoy a lot of shelf life as I can't trust it. I as most of you gave celcius a fighting chance at seeing if this was a decent weapon and like many of you found it was not. I had a bunch of guys on my team looking into this weapon and needless to say they quickly looked the other way. Its a great looking toy, but it is a toy, not field skirmishable as its unrealiable. As stated its really been a hit or miss if you get a good one. No fault to hsa or any distributor of the celcius product line. This is all celcius and it was hard enough for any airsofter to look at them being a new company and a clone but after a lot of bad merchandise was sent out and they took no action to fix the horrid weapons they sent out, they're probrably not going to last long. My mx2 couldn't handle much especially a stressful firefight, my ptw can handle anything I throw at it. As stated I personally don't blame has or any distributor for celcius sucking horribly. But I will bash celcius for a long time for the crap they not only sent me but others as well. The mx2 is to me a 600 paper weight.

82011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Sat May 28, 2011 1:25 am

papoose42

Sargeant
Sargeant

i myself have had many problems with the ctw. 2 days after getting mine the tamyia connect fell off, fixed it and soldered the wires and it came off again. went to hot spot to have fixed they fixed it, but the next time out my motor craped out on me. went back to hotspot and fixed it claudio said it was firing fine when i left next time out my motor went down again not even 10 shots through. went back to hotspot told needed a new motor, so i ordered a systema one. Put the new motor in my gun no problem and first time out the mosfet sparked out the buffer tube and got burst fire on semi so i was able to use my gun with every 4th or 5th trigger pull putting out a burst. then replaced the mosfet and ecu with a 3 round burst even though the old one works and not even 10 shots later the gear box craps out. the helical/sun gear and planetary gears broke. Now there might be a problem with the cylinder i was told by claudio. everything in the gun is basically new and still doesnt work. I am very displeased with celcius i cant even explain. 600 down the drain plus 600 in repairs.

92011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 am

Odin

Major
Major

I feel more and more lucky when i read these post. I have had mine since early february,and up til this day i have had no issues what so ever. Only issue i have had is poor feeding from vanaras mags,but thats sorted now. Otherweise it has worked flawlessly. Even in -8degrees it performed perfectly, I don`t know what you guy define as wobble of the receiver... i think it comes up to personal reference maybe? I would like to see a video of what you guys define as wobbling,just out of curiosity. lol

But even though me and 2 others on my team have been lucky with out CTW`es, the 4th member of our team had his CTW ECU crapping out after 1game and the shop wouldn`t give it on the warranty (he had it for 1week and it broke his first game with it). That makes me sceptical and i really think Celcius should start having quality control (like it is now it seems like a gamble on who gets a good batch and who doesnt.). But i do still feel that if Celcius got theyr shit together and really really quality tested all CTW`s before leaving the factory they could really challenge the PTW market. But as stuff is now they are shooting themself in the leg and make people so pissed that they sell the CTW and buys a PTW instead.

My two cents.

102011 MX-2 Review Empty Re: 2011 MX-2 Review Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am

papoose42

Sargeant
Sargeant

i completely agree they are hurting themselves i would rather have paid say 800 or 900 and not have had these problems. I have a bunch of teammates who have the ctw 1 has had it with not a single problem, and the other one has had his over over a year and has only replaced the motor the rest of us have had to replace the motor multiple times. It is stupid when you think about it because so many people have bad blood with celcius and it seems like everytime the gun gets sent out to get "fixed" it isnt really fixed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum