Celcius CTW forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Celcius CTW forum

forum for everything CTW

You are not connected. Please login or register

Questions before I purchase a CTW

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Questions before I purchase a CTW Empty Questions before I purchase a CTW Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 am

airsoftghost

Recruit
Recruit

Hey guys, my name is Austin.

I've been looking into getting a CTW/PTW style weapon for a while, and now have around $1200 to spend. I was looking at the CTWs, and with the money saved wanted to put an RIS on it, and do whatever internal mods are necessary.

I have heard that there are 4 versions of the MX2 CTW. And I've heard from many different people that the version 3 and version 4 are what I should look into getting, as they have fixed many of the problems the older MX2 models had.

I've heard horror stories with CTWs, motor failures, ECU failures, cylinder problems, etc. So here are my questions:

1. If I were to get a version 3 or 4, what mods would be needed to make the gun reliable? To make minimize my fear of the gun breaking at large ops.

2.Are the mods just like a PTW? Hop-up mod, ECU waterproofing, and motor rewind?

3. Where can I purchase a version 3 or version 4 MX2? I know hotspot stopped carrying them.

4. Have the version 3 and higher really fixed all these problems I've been hearing about the CTW?

5. For the necessary mods, who can I contact about having them done? What person/shop should I send it to? (Something like Tackleberry over on the PTW forums)

6. What mags would you recommend? I've seen many brands, MAG, Saber, PTW mags, etc.

7. I've heard that I should and shouldn't use 11.1 lipos in the gun, is it required I use lipos? Or could I just use Systema 9.6V batteries?

8. Could I use regular AEG 9.6V and 10.8V batteries?

9. What (if any) problems still exist in the version 3 and 4 models of the CTW?

Thankyou for your time!
Austin

2Questions before I purchase a CTW Empty Re: Questions before I purchase a CTW Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:42 am

boss

Sargeant
Sargeant

Hi Austin ... I'm going to answer your question as someone who has owned BOTH a CTW-Xmax and a PTW-Max

airsoftghost wrote:Hey guys, my name is Austin.

I've been looking into getting a CTW/PTW style weapon for a while, and now have around $1200 to spend. I was looking at the CTWs, and with the money saved wanted to put an RIS on it, and do whatever internal mods are necessary.
• IMHO you want to invest the MOST money into the parts that are hardest to get/upgrade etc. Spend the most on the base gun, cut corners here and you'll be sorry down the road. As far as choosing between CTW/PTW that's your choice you've got to weigh, price vs. reliability vs.durability.

airsoftghost wrote:I have heard that there are 4 versions of the MX2 CTW. And I've heard from many different people that the version 3 and version 4 are what I should look into getting, as they have fixed many of the problems the older MX2 models had.
• Someone else will ahve to chime in here I stopped keeping track after I bought mine ...

airsoftghost wrote:I've heard horror stories with CTWs, motor failures, ECU failures, cylinder problems, etc. So here are my questions:

1. If I were to get a version 3 or 4, what mods would be needed to make the gun reliable? To make minimize my fear of the gun breaking at large ops.
• Read .. no, SCOUR these forums and read where other CTWs are more likely to break then stock up on spares (O-Rings, Nozzles .. etc.)
• If you're going to a Big OP I would always always ALWAYS bring a backup ... My PTW BROKE IN HALF @ OP:Northern Light this year ... I had to play the last 4 hours with a gas shotgun.

airsoftghost wrote:2.Are the mods just like a PTW? Hop-up mod, ECU waterproofing, and motor rewind?
• Yes, althought he CTW motors are actually known for having better motors. Even with that said, I would clean motor with electronic Parts cleaner (Lectra-Motive) and re lube the bearings (Dan's Banana Lube) every couple of skirmishes.

airsoftghost wrote:3. Where can I purchase a version 3 or version 4 MX2? I know hotspot stopped carrying them.

• EVIKE.com has them on sale for $600 with a 20% off special till 11/23 + $19 shipping it comes to $499 NOTE: CALL THEM FIRST AND PLACE THE ORDER. Insist that they put their hands on the CTW they will be shipping to you. A lot of times they show an item in stock on their website but then call and say it is backordered.

airsoftghost wrote:4. Have the version 3 and higher really fixed all these problems I've been hearing about the CTW?

• Again ... I dunno. Someone else will know better than I would.

airsoftghost wrote:5. For the necessary mods, who can I contact about having them done? What person/shop should I send it to? (Something like Tackleberry over on the PTW forums)
• Claudio @ Hotspot seems to be the go to guy Stateside, Tacklberry is the original PTW guru (be preapred to pay A LOT)

airsoftghost wrote:6. What mags would you recommend? I've seen many brands, MAG, Saber, PTW mags, etc.
• Original CTW or Systema = the best I've used You can put them in Vanaras or Rampo PMAG shells if you want colosr/lighter wieght. The internals are rebuildable/maintainable
• Vanaras = OK ... over time the springs wear out. You could replace them with Systema Springs. The internal case is glued so it is not rebuildable.
• Lancer System = SUCK. The seethrough plastic breaks easily.
• MAG and SABRE brands .. I don;t have experience with either of those.

airsoftghost wrote:7. I've heard that I should and shouldn't use 11.1 lipos in the gun, is it required I use lipos? Or could I just use Systema 9.6V batteries?
• I used an 11.1 3S 2300mAh Lipo the entire time I owned mine
• Systema 9.6 and/or 12V are fine too

airsoftghost wrote:8. Could I use regular AEG 9.6V and 10.8V batteries?
• Yes and Yes

airsoftghost wrote:9. What (if any) problems still exist in the version 3 and 4 models of the CTW?
• I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you an answer

Going back to point #1 if I were in your shoes. I would buy a used Systema PTW. Right now there are quite a few on the market as some players are migrating to PolarStar EPAR systems. I know of one right now a 2009 PTW (non-max) which is selling for $1000
-Black cylinder
-9.6v Batteries x3
-Smart charger
-Unused Vanaras Pmags x4
-Systema metal mags x3
-Magpul hand guard-
-Magpul single point sling attachment
-Scope riser
yeah it doesn't have a RIS but you can add that later if you need it. This is owned by a LTJG in the Navy so its been adult owned/maintained since ti was new. Yeah it is not a Max so you're not able to buy a red cylinder but this is set up for any outdoor/indoor arena you could ever want to play in. I'm just sayin'... this is a good value. You'd save a couple hundred (maybe $200) going brand new CTW with brand new accessories)

3Questions before I purchase a CTW Empty Re: Questions before I purchase a CTW Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm

airsoftghost

Recruit
Recruit

Wow thankyou for the response! Awesome and detailed, was a huge help.

You've answered everything I needed answered (well ecept for the few things you were not sure about). But now I have a few more questions.

For the 2009 non-max PTW for $1,000, it is definately in my price range. But what is the difference between MAX and non-max?

Are you familiar with SCK kits? What's the difference between the prebuilt MAX CQB-Rs, and a challenge kit built by Tackleberry with his mods that he offers? Is there really a difference?

It's so hard to choose between CTWs and PTWs!

Thankyou again for your help,
Austin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum